This is endearing. Miss Boon knows a set-up when she see one! No matter. A 2-minute Zen is nothing to sneeze at! Good for you both! If it had been Lily, there would have been strings of drool. Instead, Boon showed: yawning, licking her lips, averting her head...until she finally "gives up" and rests her head on your other leg.
What I found equally interesting in this video is having Boon on the floor in front of you in the passenger seat. Another great SIT challenge for all of our dogs.
Now for the BIG question: Does John do as well with Beer Zen?
Lynn, I learned training with Guide dogs for the Blind to train the dogs (easiest to begin when the puppies are TINY) to ride int he floorboard. When a person has to take public transportation the dogs are NOT allowed on the seats! They must ride in the floorboard so as to not muddy or dirty the seats in any way for the next customer to ride in the cab. ( hair on the front of seat accepted as there isn't anything you can do about that!) I began training it of course when I was not driving! The when Boon had it /it just seemed normal to her, I began using a tie down for safety when I was driving and she rode in the front seat floorboard. It makes it easy to toss treats too for nice long down behavior which strengthens all the other downs too. As she grows she learns how to manage a down in small space like she would on a airplane later so it isn't such a weird feeling to have to lie her head on metal or tuck it under the seat etc. And last but not least you can work on eye contact when you are riding in the passenger seat! TURN OFF the AIRBAG though!!!!! Just in case! When we came to CA this past time Boon learned to ride in the back floorboard where she could not see me. I had to pull over and get her off the seat a couple times, a girl has to try! She had about 90% success of riding quietly on the floor until told to exit the car. Again, beginnings of out of sight downs and I could reach back and deliver treats easily without looking.
We did this sitting in the car while John went in to buy some beer. You can train anytime, anywhere!
ReplyDeleteThis is endearing. Miss Boon knows a set-up when she see one! No matter. A 2-minute Zen is nothing to sneeze at! Good for you both! If it had been Lily, there would have been strings of drool. Instead, Boon showed: yawning, licking her lips, averting her head...until she finally "gives up" and rests her head on your other leg.
ReplyDeleteWhat I found equally interesting in this video is having Boon on the floor in front of you in the passenger seat. Another great SIT challenge for all of our dogs.
Now for the BIG question: Does John do as well with Beer Zen?
Lynn, I learned training with Guide dogs for the Blind to train the dogs (easiest to begin when the puppies are TINY) to ride int he floorboard. When a person has to take public transportation the dogs are NOT allowed on the seats! They must ride in the floorboard so as to not muddy or dirty the seats in any way for the next customer to ride in the cab. ( hair on the front of seat accepted as there isn't anything you can do about that!) I began training it of course when I was not driving! The when Boon had it /it just seemed normal to her, I began using a tie down for safety when I was driving and she rode in the front seat floorboard. It makes it easy to toss treats too for nice long down behavior which strengthens all the other downs too. As she grows she learns how to manage a down in small space like she would on a airplane later so it isn't such a weird feeling to have to lie her head on metal or tuck it under the seat etc. And last but not least you can work on eye contact when you are riding in the passenger seat! TURN OFF the AIRBAG though!!!!! Just in case! When we came to CA this past time Boon learned to ride in the back floorboard where she could not see me. I had to pull over and get her off the seat a couple times, a girl has to try! She had about 90% success of riding quietly on the floor until told to exit the car. Again, beginnings of out of sight downs and I could reach back and deliver treats easily without looking.
ReplyDeleteSUPERB!
ReplyDelete